Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Lost and Found

A couple of weeks ago as I was coming back from my daily walk I saw something in the street that looked like a credit card. I picked it up and saw that it was my neighbor's driver's license. We just know each other enough to wave and say "hello" when we see each other. Anyway, because it was the right thing to do, I returned her license to her.

Fast forward to last Thursday. It was kind of a busy day for me. Busier than I've been in a long time. By the end of the day, I was exhausted and pretty much fell into bed. The next day as I was getting ready to start my day, I went to put my driver's license in my pocket and I couldn't find it. My license, not my pocket.

I keep my license in a little business card holder, along with a couple of other things. Although I know you're not supposed to keep your Social Security Card in your wallet, that was one of the things in the holder because I needed it to fill out a form recently and never got around to taking it out of the holder again. I also had my insurance card, a couple of pictures and business cards and a press pass I don't need anymore but I keep anyway. Nostalgia.

I was in a panic. I searched everywhere. I retraced every step I made on Thursday. I asked people at the two stores I went to if anyone had seen it or turned it in. Nothing. On Thursday, I changed the sheets on my bed so, on Friday, I unmade the bed just in case the license et al fell in between them while I was making the bed. I checked my car twice. The third time, I even cleaned out the car. Nothing.

It was time to ask for St. Anthony's help. I prayed that if I couldn't find it myself that whoever did find it would mail it back to me. Saturday, nothing. Sunday, nothing. As of Monday afternoon, nothing. I was telling my Mom that I would have to go to the DMV today and get a new license; call the Social Security office; call the insurance people. I was not looking forward to that. I was also getting a little bit angry with St. Anthony for not helping me. I mean, it was just a couple of weeks ago that I'd returned a lost driver's license. Why couldn't someone do that for me? So, just as I was about to go upstairs and take a nap, I decided to check the car one more time. Sure enough, there it was, plain as day. I thanked St. Anthony and apologized for not believing in him.

Then I decided, as much as I didn't want to, I would start carrying a bigger wallet that wouldn't just slip out of my pocket without my noticing it. I carried that wallet when my Mom and I went to Wal-Mart last night. I put it in the top part of the shopping cart while we were in the store. Because it was raining so hard, I told my Mom to wait in the store while I put the groceries in the car. After doing that, I put the cart in the cart thingy and, as I was walking away, I thought I saw something still in the cart so I went back over to see what it was. Yeah. It was my wallet. You'd think I would have learned my lesson.

I did remember to pick up my Mom before I went home, though.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

As long as you remembered your Mom!
Sounds like some good karma came back your way. It is such an annoying chore to have to replace all of those things. Here it takes several hours just to get a driver's license--glad you didn't have to deal with all that.

Philip Del Ricci said...

Hey Anne:

I just joined BLOG Explosion and came across your BLOG. I set a BLOGmark so that I can read the entire thing this week. We seem to have a few things in common (writing, Saints, etc). I talk about Saints fairly regularly on my BLOG, Dark Glass. Drop by if you have a few moments and let me know what you think.

P. Del Ricci