Sunday, August 07, 2005

Post #41

When I got a prescription for the pain reliever Lortab (similar to Vicodin), I was concerned that it was only for 30 of them, with only one refill. I thought, for sure, I'd be needing them for a couple of months. But, surprisingly, considering I have such a low tolerance for pain, I took myself off them on Tuesday. I just took ibuprofen when I needed something, which wasn't very often.

As a side note, before the surgery I used to go through a 500 count bottle of ibuprofen in about six weeks. In the 13 weeks since the surgery, I haven't even gone through a bottle of 50 yet. I'd say that's a pretty good indicator of how much pain I was in pre-surgery.

Anyway, I really didn't have many problems at home except finding a way to comfortably, and painlessly, get out of bed. By Tuesday I had that problem licked.

The biggest problem was gas pains. Unless you've gone through abdominal surgery, you can't even imagine how bad the pain is. It feels as if there's some alien inside you trying to push its way out. It's really horrendous! It took a while for that problem to go away ... about two-and-a-half weeks.

I was doing so well that I felt guilty that my sister put her life on hold to help me for a week. I found myself making up things she could for me, like bring me a cup of herbal tea, which I could have easily done by myself.

The only thing I really wanted someone to do for me was change the dressing on the incision, which I had to do everyday after showering. But, I did it myself because, well, I didn't want my sister having to do something like that. Maybe if it wasn't a bikini cut I would have felt differently.

No comments: