Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Preparation

I'm getting ready for Blogathon. The most important thing I learned from doing Project Blog last year is: Be prepared.

One thing I'm doing to get prepared is have an idea of what all 48 posts are going to be beforehand, or at least the majority of them. Last year, I learned that in about the 20th hour of non-stop blogging my brain doesn't function properly and it's very difficult to string sentences together, let alone type them. If I have an idea of where I'm going, it'll be a little easier. I hope!

Another important part of the preparation process is stocking up on supplies ... chocolate, water, snacks, chocolate. I learned this valuable lesson during my years of doing NaNoWriMo. When you're trying to write 50,000 words in a month, you need chocolate. That's just a basic rule of life.

So, obviously, preparing for Blogathon got me thinking about NaNo. On the message boards last year, in a thread about how to get to 50,000 words if you're having trouble, someone suggested subscribing to dictionary.com's Word of the Day then using every word in your NaNo novel. Great idea, I thought. But today I saw that I have 188 words (thanks to gmail's nifty labeling system) but I haven't done anything with them except let them sit in my inbox. One of these days, before November 1, I'm going to have to organize them into some kind of useful form. Knowing me, I'll do it sometime after I've passed out candy to trick-or-treaters.

Being a procrastinator and trying to prepare for something in advance just don't mix sometimes. My brain hurts just thinking about it.

No comments: